Friday, December 31, 2010

In Which I Sound Like a Complete American

So far I have not had very many opportunities to use my extensive German vocabulary (which consists of: Guten Tag - Hello
Guten Morgen - Good morning
Auf Wiedersehen - Goodbye
bitte - please
danke - thank you
and No comprendo which means I do not ... no, wait ...)
  I enjoy hearing the German language, but in some situations it can be quite overwhelming.  Crowded McDonald's when you have just been awakened and dragged off a warm bus that you did not want to leave, into the freezing cold to get a burger that you did not want to eat, surrounded by talking people that you can not understand, and then accidentally eating a pickle on your supposedly ketchup-only cheeseburger while suffering through the stares of the locals because of your younger brother who is expressing the way you feel by crying incessantly is a great example.  I wanted to get back into that bus, pull on my slippers and curl up again more than is possible to convey through a blog post.
  I have been working to expand my already extensive German vocabulary with the following phrases:
Ich verstehe nicht. (I do not understand.)
Es tut mir leid.  (I am sorry.)
and
Konnen Sie die Heizung anstellen?  (Could you turn the heat on?)

~RM

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, when I read the title of this post on my blogroll, I was thinking, "Isn't that what you are???" haha. Keep at the German, and you'll do wonderfully with your adventures ahead :P Happy Snow-Days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. German's hard, isn't it? Unlike most languages, which have two genders, German has THREE genders (which is really weird when you think about it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guten tag, ein madchen! i've been learning german for a while now, Michaiah! I think you'll find the german will begin to get easier very soon. miss you! -hannah

    ReplyDelete