Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Rememberings

October has always had a unique smell.
The smell of holidays fast approaching, crisp autumn breezes rushing through me as I stomp on crunchy fallen leaves, recipes that have been put away till winter time making their annual appearance. 
These smells bring both anticipation..
And memories.
I remember raking leaves with my siblings in my grandma's front lawn all afternoon.  And then, because we had so much fun, the next day we'd rake her neighbor's lawn too.
I remember dressing up as some creature from a greek myth (Medusa or a centaur or a muse) and collecting enough candy to last me at least six months.
I remember gathering with family to watch the Chiefs play after church and eat chili.  October was always the month of chili.
Now I listen as my dad tosses the football around with my brothers.  One high-pitched laughing voice warning two deep throated giants about his "really long toss" that they'd better catch!
Now I watch and take pictures as the children I teach build leaf piles to jump in.  I may even join them.
“If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!”
― J.M. Barrie
 
Now I sit.  Enjoying life for this brief moment.  Amazed at how quickly time has flown.  Frightened by the same thing.  But content to just be for as long as I can.
 
 
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

1 comment:

  1. I looooooooooooove the last picture.

    Emma
    http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete