Sunday, September 1, 2013

Remember That One Time In Greece...

I received one of my best Christmas presents ever this past year.  In a manila envelope.  Enclosed in that envelope was a proposition of sorts.  Each of us, my siblings and I (the elder three of the Lopi* clan) were given three destination options.Which, after having picked one, we would then visit and explore with the leader of our clan (otherwise known as Dad).  This was a chance to visit someplace new without the occasional inconvenience caused by traveling with a larger family that contains little ones that find naps a necessity.  Plus, we also got to decide which activities we would enjoy while on our weekend adventure.  After mulling it over for a couple of days, we three made our decision.  Isaac was going to Scotland (where he promptly bought himself a kilt), Abi chose Ireland (the accents may have been of some influence) and I was off to Greece.
Crete was the specific destination that I decided upon.  And our fun filled adventure didn't even wait till we actually arrived to begin.  Being the creative pair that we are, we spent an hour and a half imagining up creative back-stories for our fellow passengers before getting on the plane.  Now that's good fun right there.
 Other adventures included searching for mini minotaurs in many Minoan ruins.
Go ahead. Say that five times fast.
He made me sit in the open-air Minoan class room.  I had just completed finals at the time.  Now you understand the face.
The food was amazing.  I love Greek food to begin with, but eating Greek food in Greece is even better.  We enjoyed traditional lamb dishes, gyros, and the occasional shot of raki in and around the bustling square of the town where we stayed.
We discovered more ruins including a tumbled down olive press which was connected to a monastery  and a church that contained age old paintings of Saint George and the dragon, and the disciples.
  And the beaches.  How I loved the beaches for so many reasons.
I loved them for the countless colors of blue and green that were mixed in the water.  I loved them for the sounds, the feeling of sand between my toes and sun on my shoulders (and the back of my knees the next day... Always reapply sunscreen, kids).
I loved the fact that, at this particular beach (Elafonisi) we were able to escape the crowds and find a stretch of beach that we could claim as our own for the afternoon.
All in all, Dad and I decided that God gets two thumbs up for this one.  He did good.  And I will always remember my trip to Greece and His amazing creation that I got to experience.
Romans 1:20

-- RML

*Lopi rhymes with octopi and is the official pluralization of Lopez.  A public service announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment