Friday, March 18, 2011

That's It. Where's My Sharpie?

Funny story.  Today, while my family was out and about, we stopped at Vielseck's PXextra to purchase a few things that (amazingly) our PX doesn't carry.  During this shopping excursion I offered to hold Belle while Mom and Dad were making monumental, world altering decisions like which carpet to get for the living room.  I am all about self-sacrifice :P
  She and I walked around, made funny faces at ourselves in the mirrors, wondered how comfy those beds where, watched some Night at the Museum 2 on one of the flatscreens, and generally had good, sisterly bonding time.
  I got more than a few strange looks while walking around with a five-week-old.  And when I joined my family in line I met an elderly couple who were cooing over "my baby".  Our conversation went something like this:
Elderly woman exclaims, "Oooh look at the cwoot baby!"
I smile.
Elderly gentleman asks, "How old is he?"
I answer, "She is five weeks."
Elderly gentleman corrects himself, "Oh, excuse me, she.  What is her name?"
I reply, "Cristabel."
Elderly woman admires, "Cristabel, what a beautiful name!"
I smile.
Elderly woman continues cooing over Belle.
Elderly gentleman continues conversation, "Is she your first?  Second?"
Realization dawns.
I answer, "Fifth, actually." (hehe :P)
Elderly gentleman is taken aback, "Fifth?!!"
I clarify, "Yep, she's my sister, there are five of us." *Smiles at Mom*
Elderly gentleman and woman laugh.
Silence.
Elderly woman states, "She looks a lot like you and your mom."
Elderly gentleman agrees,  "Yes, very strong resemblance."

After having experienced multiple situations like these I have created a solution:
There wasn't enough room to write "for heaven's sake".
~RM

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's hilarious! I'm always a little hesitant about taking my baby brother with me in public for that reason. :p

    And- AWESOME SOLUTION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the solution, Rachel=) I'll go for that. It's *so* awkward when I'm standing around in church with my *SIX* and *ELEVEN* year old sister, and an elderly lady goes by and says, "Aw, how old are you?" to my youngest sister. She answers, "Six." Lady looks back at me: "TWO girls?!?! I had two girls, too!" It dawns on me what she's talking about. "Oh, no, she's my sister." "Really?!?!"

    Of course.

    Yep, I'll GO for that solution=)

    The question: do I really look that old?!?! It freaks me out...

    ReplyDelete