Thursday, January 13, 2011

A List

Of things that are different here than in America.
  • A rather large difference being the whole language issue. 
  • There being two buttons to press while flushing a toilet. The 'On' button and the 'Off' button.
  • Almost all the cars are five passenger.
  • The fire trucks are teeny.
  • All the menus in the restaurants are unreadable.  For us un-German speaking Americans anyway.
  • Everyone has an accent here ...... Except for us Americans.  Pooh.
  • One of the differences that I have a big problem with is: the soda here is messed up.  And I'm not exaggerating when I say that it tastes like medicine.  I would be the one standing at a soda machine filling my cup, tasting it, deciding it didn't taste right, dumping it out, and then walking over to the other soda machine to try again.  I do this almost every time we go out to eat.  I've gotten lots of knowing nods from other Americans who are suffering through the same tribulation.
  • Carbonated water.  Another thing I have a problem with.  Our first experience with carbonated water was at the airport.  We bought three big bottles of what we thought was water to quench our thirst and then almost choked after tasting the awful stuff that was plain carbonation.  Harsh wake-up call.
  • No ice.  Restaurants do not put ice in your drink.  So picture that lovely medicine-tasting Coke at room temperature.  You have now pictured my detestable torture.
  • No closets.  Except the water closet which is what the Europeans call the bathroom.  So instead we have wardrobes.  And trust me, the minute we get ours in our new house there is going to be much opening and closing of doors until we find Narnia.
  • Streets that almost taper off entirely.
  • 110 and 220 electricity.
  • Walking into a small, privately owned furniture store and having the German owner exclaim in his lovely accent, "Oooh!  Beeg a family, yah? Hahahaha."
  • Walking through a store, having your way blocked by two women speaking in German, saying "Excusez-moi" and getting a reply in English.  Then you wonder..."Do I really look that American?"
That's all for now, but I'm sure I will be posting a sequel to this list sooner than later.

~RM

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing some of the differences! I never realized I could be (and am) addicted to ice. . . actually, I didn't know anyone could be addicted to ice. Let us know when you find Narnia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find Narnia soon! ANd then I shall come visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doesn't sound so bad...except for that second thing. And why are you opening and closing DOORS looking for Narnia??? Why aren't you opening and closing WARDROBES???? And it'll happen when you're not looking for it. And I would be looking for Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete