Friday, July 23, 2010

Life Through 'Love-colored' Glasses

Love your neighbor as yourself, a verse that is taught repeatedly but pushed aside as 'unimportant'. And yet Christ taught that after "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength," "Love your neighbor as yourself" is the most important commandment. Many people obey this command when it concerns those outside of their family, greeting their guests with warm smiles and "How are you?"s after just arguing angrily with their sister over which napkins to use. But I believe when Christ said 'neighbor' He was speaking of those closest to us, family members that we are with continually as well as those outside our homes. If we are looking at life through love-colored glasses when we interact with siblings and parents we will be obeying all the other commandments concerning others. If we are loving our family as we love ourselves we will honor our father and our mother, we will speak truth not lies, we will not covet, murder, or steal. When I am angry with my sister for one thing or another I tend to look through the archives of past wrongs she has done to me making myself even more angry than is really necessary (if necessary at all). But love covers a multitude of sins! Christ is love and Christ has covered every single one of our sins through His death on the cross. Why then, after the love He has shown us, can't we show love to those around us?

~RM

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, Rachel (pardon the pun:P). I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true...difficult when others don't do it, though. I'm not criticizing them. I'm just saying that it's difficult when that happens.

    ReplyDelete